Optimate 4 Battery Charger CAN-bus Edition
The OptiMate 4 BMW CAN-bus package is the latest version of the multiple award-winning OptiMate 4 Dual Program pre-packed with O9 DIN plug cable and with CAN-bus mode pre-selected, ready for use with BMW CAN-bus motorcycles out of the box. This is a hassle-free solution for owners of CAN-bus equipped BMW bikes (e.g. K1200GT, K1200R, K1200S, R1200GS, R1200RT, R1200ST, F800S, F800ST, F800GS etc.) to charge via the 12V power socket. This model can also be used in normal mode with other bikes and cars using the supplied clamp lead. NB the O1 eyelet lead is not included in this package as it is assumed the O9 lead will normally be used.
How it works
1. Switch between STANDARD or CAN-BUS program with a simple procedure: connect clamps together, connect to mains, wait for the LED’s to confirm program change, disconnect clamps. LED indication confirms the CAN-BUS program is active. Once selected, the chosen program is saved as the default mode for next use, but you can switch programs as many times as you want. The OptiMate 4 BMW CAN-bus model is delivered preset in CAN-bus mode.
2. Safety check: OptiMate 4 will proceed to charge if the battery voltage can maintain above 2V during the initial start up diagnosis, even if the battery was at 0.5V before connection.
3. Functionality: OptiMate 4 microprocessor checks the system for correct operation (LEDs flash briefly to confirm).
4. Pre-qualification test: OptiMate 4 indicates the battery condition prior to charging.
5. Desulphation and recovery: STANDARD (up to 16V) engages automatically to recover neglected, flat batteries from a sulphated to a chargeable state. For badly neglected batteries the TURBO stage (max 22V) engages if vehicle electronics are not detected or the battery is out of the vehicle. The turbo stage is disabled in CAN-bus mode. The safe low voltage PULSE recovery engages for the final 15 minutes.
6. Bulk charge: a constant current of 1A is delivered until the voltage reaches 14.3V.
7. Absorption and equalisation: Current is delivered in pulses to bring the battery to full charge in the shortest possible time.
8. Charge verification and short circuit / dead cell check: Charge acceptance is monitored, to detect internal damage and prevent unnecessary charging of an unrecoverable battery that cannot be recovered. An undamaged battery requiring further charging will revert to pulsed absorption.
9. Voltage retention test: is conducted for 30 minutes during which no charge current is delivered, with 5 possible test results indicating the battery’s general state of health. The pre-qualification test can be used to detect batteries that may hold a charge initially, but lose charge overnight.
10. Charge maintenance: a voltage of 13.6V is delivered for 30 minutes following each voltage retention test, with sufficient current to sustain it against natural self-discharge or drain from permanently active vehicle components or connected accessories (alarm, immobiliser). The voltage retention test and charge maintenance periods continue alternating half-hourly until the battery is disconnected. The test result is updated during each subsequent test.
11. CAN-bus program: the KEYLESS activation program guarantees automatic re-opening of the connection even with the ignition turned off.
12. The alternating test and charge maintenance program is designed to provide the recommend maintenance voltage for AGM / GEL batteries whilst reducing the average voltage as required by STD filler cap batteries, making it ideal for indefinite and 100% safe long term maintenance charging of any type of 12V lead-acid battery.
- Recommended for: AGM/MF, STD, GEL and spiral cell batteries from 2Ah to 50Ah
- Long term maintenance: Up to 75Ah
- Programme control: Microprocessor, 6 stages, fully automatic
- Input Voltage: 100–240V; 50-60Hz
- Input current max: 0.15A @ 230V; 0.27A @ 100V
- Typical annual energy cost: Less than £1.00 per year (continuous maintenance)
- Reverse drain current: Less than 0.5mA
- Output current (bulk charge): 1A
- Automatic desulphation: 2 stages (recovery and Turbo-recovery)
- Charge time limit: 48 hours (maintenance time: unlimited)
- Maintain / test cycles: 30 min/30 min (alternating hourly)
- Charge retention test: 5 possible results from ‘good’ to ‘bad’
- Size: 200 x 75 x 61mm
- Weight: 1000g
- Enclosure classification: IP54
- Mounting: Easy direct wall mounting
- Input cable length: 2m
- Output cable length: 2m
- Included Accessories: O9 DIN Plug Lead; O4 Clamp Lead for bench charging
- Operation temperature range: -40°C / +40°C
- Warranty: 3 years
The REAL & unique 6-step battery optimiser specially designed for all modern 12V starter batteries from 2.5 to 50 Amp-hours capacity.
Diagnoses, recovers, charges, checks & maintains your battery automatically for months. All major battery manufacturers recommend maintaining starter batteries FULLY CHARGED during periods of non-use. OptiMate 4 is totally safe for months-long connection and maintenance of irregularly or seasonally used batteries even while still connected to the vehicle. The sophisticated charging algorithm ensures no risk of over-charging.
Suitable for all types of rechargeable 12V lead-acid batteries: filler cap types; absorbed glass mat (AGM or “MF”); valve regulated (VRLA); GEL-electrolyte. As simple as 1-2-3: Just connect OptiMate 4 to your battery, the rest is automatic. Electronically protected against user errors. There is no switch, no fuse and there are no sparks.
Delivered with two interchangeable connection sets, one with clamps for bench charging, the other with DIN plug for connection to BMW 12V auxiliary power socket.
1 in stock (can be backordered)
To minimise the risk of fraud, we use PAYPAL to receive card payments from our customers. If you would prefer to pay by cheque, please email your order to email@example.com and post payments to the address below (see contact details). Your order will be dispatched once we are in receipt of the cheque and monies have been cleared.
DELIVERY & returns
We will email you to confirm your order, and we will process the order as soon as payment has been received. We will email you again when your item has been dispatched (3-5 working days). We make every effort to ensure the site is as up to date as it can be, but should an item be out of stock after you have placed an order, we will email you within five working days to clarify when we can dispatch it. Delivery is by next day courier for large items and 1st class post (signed for) for smaller items. Shipping costs will be calculated automatically within the shopping basket. If your package is not signed for and is returned to us, we will re-charge your postage fees to dispatch again. Unfortunately, we cannot despatch items outside of the UK.
If you are unhappy with your purchase (faulty or damaged), providing you contact us within 5 working days of receiving it by phone or email (see below for contact details), we will offer a full refund, providing the item is un-used and in its original undamaged packaging. We recommend returning items to us by a recorded/signed for delivery method. If the item is faulty or damaged, we would cover the return carriage charges.